MSPs can claim money back for "expenses" (costs). These must be costs from carrying out their duties in Parliament or helping their constituents.
Members' Expenses Scheme
The Members' Expenses Scheme has rules about what expenses MSPs can claim. Expenses include:
- staff costs including supporting staff with disabilities
- office costs
- engaging and communicating with constituents
- costs to close their office
- claim expenses for activities that are party political (for example acting as a party spokesperson or attending party meetings)
- have an arrangement that benefits a person or party-political organisation
MSPs are responsible for any expense claims in their name, even if someone else submits the claim for them. All claims must have a receipt or a document to confirm the expense, unless the SPCB decides otherwise.
What can MSPs claim?
The allowances rates set out the limits MSPs can claim each year. MSPs must claim for these costs – they are not paid automatically. MSPs can only claim what they’ve actually spent. The allowances rates are set each year.