Skip to main content

Language: English / GĂ idhlig


Members of the Scottish Parliament (MSPs)

About Members of the Scottish Parliament (MSPs)


What issues can an MSP help you with

There are certain things that the Scottish Parliament has the power to make decisions on. These are known as "devolved matters".

Contact one of your MSPs if you want support with something related to the following devolved matters:

  • agriculture and fisheries
  • education and training
  • environment
  • health and social services
  • housing
  • justice and policing
  • local government
  • transport

You can contact one of your MSPs about some taxes - these include:

  • Income Tax
  • Land and Buildings Transaction Tax
  • Landfill Tax

You can also contact one of your MSPs about some aspects of social security - these include the following benefits:

  • Best Start Grant
  • Carer's Allowance/Carer’s Allowance Supplement
  • Funeral Support Payment
  • Young Carer Grant

What to include when contacting your MSP

Please include:

  • your postcode, along with the rest of your contact details
  • a brief description of the problem or issue
  • suggestions on what can be done to sort out the problem or issue if you have any

Other people who can help with an issue

If your issue is not covered by what an MSP can help you with, there are other people who represent you and may be able to help. They include:

  • councillors - they represent you in your council and deal with local services, such as bin collection
  • Members of Parliament (MPs) - they represent you in the UK Parliament and deal with issues that are not be devolved (known as "reserved matters")