About self-guided visits
You are welcome to visit the building any time it’s open, from Monday to Friday. There’s no need to book in advance.
On a self-guided visit, you can:
- explore any public areas including the Main Hall
- view pieces from the art collection
- see our permanent exhibition A Parliament for the People
- join one of our 10 minute talks
- grab something to eat or drink in the Café
- browse the Shop
A self-guided visit is suitable for all ages and free to attend. You can pick up a visitor map from the Main Hall when you arrive, or download a map ahead of your visit.
A BSL map is also available.
For families, we also have our Family Trail activity book, which contains a map of the grounds outside the building, along with learning activities. It's designed to be printed out and written on, or pick up a copy from the Main Hall when you arrive.
Plan your visit
If you are visiting the Parliament, there is a code of behaviour that you need to follow.
For all visits, please:
- remember that this is a working Parliamentary building
- obey all instructions from Parliamentary officials
- keep all bags with you or place them in the baggage store or public lockers
- do not smoke in the building
- do not eat or drink, except in the restaurants
- return your “Visitor” lanyard and pass, when leaving
- collect any items retained by Security as you go out
- note that the display of banners, flags or political slogans, including on clothing and accessories, is forbidden
For visits to see parliamentary business, please:
- enter, sit in and leave the galleries quietly
- switch any mobile devices to silent
- do not cause a distraction or disrupt parliamentary business – for example, telephone calls must not be taken or made
- do not applaud or shout out during meetings
- do not take photos, videos or make any form of recording during parliamentary business
- obtain prior permission to paint, sketch or draw
- remain seated throughout the whole 45-minute session, if your ticket is for First Minister’s Question Time
- only use social media discreetly and in complete silence
Days and times
Monday to Saturday:
10am to 5pm (last entry 4.30pm)