Skip to main content

Language: English / GĂ idhlig


Chamber and committees

Question ref. S6W-09965
Asked by: Kenneth Gibson, Cunninghame North, Scottish National Party
Date lodged: 25 July 2022


To ask the Scottish Government what training medical students and new doctors in Scotland receive on how to diagnose and treat endometriosis.

Current status: Answered by Maree Todd on 16 August 2022


Endometriosis is covered in all Undergraduate medical curricula and as such all doctors will have an awareness of the condition.

Further postgraduate training is provided to those training in General Practice or Obstetrics and Gynaecology from Foundation Year 2 until Certificate of Completion. These core groups will receive further training and develop more in-depth knowledge and understanding of endometriosis. This includes an in-depth understanding of all symptoms and the treatment options available to patients, including surgical treatment. The training also recognises the psychological and social well-being impact on women and the need for GPs to acknowledge and manage this aspect.

The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) also provide a Continuing Professional Development course on endometriosis which has a focus on possible symptoms, treatments and when referral to secondary care is necessary.

As part of our Women’s Health Plan, the Scottish Government is working to improve access for women to appropriate support, speedy diagnosis and best treatment for endometriosis.