Skip to main content

Language: English / GĂ idhlig


Chamber and committees

Question ref. S6W-07951
Asked by: Paul Sweeney, Glasgow, Scottish Labour
Date lodged: 8 April 2022


To ask the Scottish Government whether it will introduce a formal requirement in planning (a) policy and (b) guidance that all applications for listed building consent to a planning authority should include supporting evidence from (i) an accredited specialist conservation architect or conservation architect registered on the Royal Institute of British Architects Conservation Register, and (ii) structural and/or civil engineers registered on the Conservation Accreditation Register for Engineers, administered by the Institution of Civil Engineers.

Current status: Answered by Neil Gray on 27 April 2022


Listed building consent applications are made to and dealt with by the relevant local planning authority, unless a specific direction is issued for the decision to be made directly by Ministers. In order to add a formal requirement for any specific supporting evidence for listed building consent applications supplied by any of the institutions the member mentions, legislative change would be required. The Scottish Government has no plans for any such legislative change at present, and welcomes any suggestions from our local planning authorities to improve our processes, or any advice from the member of the specific benefits this would bring.