Skip to main content

Language: English / GĂ idhlig


Chamber and committees

Question reference: S5W-02327

  • Asked by: Finlay Carson, MSP for Galloway and West Dumfries, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party
  • Date lodged: 5 September 2016
  • Current status: Answered by Roseanna Cunningham on 15 September 2016


To ask the Scottish Government whether it will introduce a scheme similar to the UK Government initiative, Flood Re, and, if so, whether this will offer support to businesses.


Flood Re already covers the whole of the UK, including Scotland. It was designed for home insurance purposes as the UK Government felt that there was insufficient evidence to justify government intervention in the provision of insurance cover for small businesses. However, the Scottish Government recognises the challenges that some small businesses in flood risk areas may face, and was pleased to note the commitment given by the UK Government to monitor the insurance market for small businesses and consider the issue with the insurance industry if the situation were to change significantly. The Scottish Government will, of course, continue to work with the ABI, the UK Government and the other devolved administrations on this issue. However, as insurance is a reserved matter, it is for the UK Government to decide whether the scope of Flood Re should be widened to include support to businesses.