Standards, Procedures and Public Appointments Committee
Parliamentary procedures and practices inquiry
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Scottish Parliament has met in virtual or hybrid formats with either all or some MSPs participating by means of a virtual platform.
The Committee agreed to look at how the procedures in virtual and hybrid meetings of the Parliament and committees can be improved to retain the key features of debate and allow greater participation by MSPs.
Consultation of MSPs
The Committee gathered the views of MSPs in four focus group discussions. A summary of the views expressed by MSPs at the focus group discussions is available.
The Committee also surveyed MSPs and 24 responses were received.
The Committee wrote to the following bodies within the Scottish Parliament to seek their views on the Committee’s inquiry and received the following responses:
- Written submission from the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body
- Written submission from the Parliamentary Bureau
- Written submission from the Conveners Group
The following political parties also provided written evidence:
- Written submission from the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party
- Written submission from the Scottish Parliamentary Labour Party
The Committee published its report on 7 July 2022.