Motions, Questions and Answers Search


Motions, Questions and Answers Search Help


To ask the Scottish Government, further to the answer to question S4W-27272 by Aileen McLeod on 14 September 2015, when it will publish the (a) reports from the 11 control programmes, (b) result of the survey of biodiversity action partnership and (c) strategic plans for non-native species regional groups, and what funding it has provided to (i) fisheries trusts, (ii) biodiversity action partnerships and (iii) regional groups with specific non-native species remits in connection with the control of giant hogweed.

Answered by Aileen McLeod (02/11/2015):

The 11 control programmes are led by the Rivers and Fisheries Trusts of Scotland. They are evaluating those programmes and a draft of their evaluation is currently out for review. I have been advised that a report will be available toward the end of 2015.

The survey of Local Biodiversity Action Partnership officers was an informal information gathering exercise carried out by the local government representative on the non-native species action group. Eight local authority responses were received and are set out below:

Argyll and Bute Council

On local authority property: giant hogweed is controlled when reported.

On private property: giant hogweed is the responsibility of the land owner.

Comments: the plant is not really an issue in Argyll and Bute but the local authority keep a watching brief in Mid-Argyll and Helensburgh and Lomond.

Aberdeen City Council

On local authority property: giant hogweed is controlled when reported.

Comments: grounds maintenance teams will spray giant hogweed only at a stage where spraying is appropriate and weather conditions allow. Some spraying of invasive non-native species is undertaken under contract as part of a city wide pavement/road gulley spraying programme.

Highland Council

The response referred to two papers which can be found at annex 2 and 3 of the report by the Director of Planning and Development prepared for the 8 January 2014 meeting of the Planning, Environment and Development Committee:

City of Edinburgh Council

On local authority property: giant hogweed is controlled (although resources are very stretched and priority is therefore given to areas with public access).

On private property: procedures are in place to deal with reports of giant hogweed under public and environmental health legislation.

Comments: reports of giant hogweed on private land are initially passed to the property owner. If no action is taken, a statutory notice is served, contractors are appointed to undertake work and the cost passed on to the property owner. This process is carried out reactively, as resources allow.

Fife Council

On local authority property: treat giant hogweed (priority given to areas of concern from a public health perspective, for example near bus stops or along footpaths).

Comments: respondent not aware of reports that have not been dealt with due to lack of resources but suggested that this could be an increasing issue in coming years.

Glasgow City Council

On local authority property: treat giant hogweed (only where there is a perceived risk to public health and there is public access).

Falkirk Council

On local authority property: giant hogweed is controlled when reported. On private property: giant hogweed is the responsibility of the land owner.

Moray Council

On local authority property: treat giant hogweed where it is adjacent to promoted footpaths.

Comments: also work closely with the River Nairn, Findhorn and Lossie Fisheries Board and Wild things! (an environmental education charity based in Findhorn) who have secured funding to tackle non-native species in the Forres and Findhorn Bay area.

Information on the plans of the regional groups listed in the answer to question S4W-27272 is not held by the Scottish Government. I will arrange for the relevant information to be collected and published on the Scottish Government non-native species webpages.

A breakdown of relevant funding is given in the table below, including funding from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA). This covers projects which are led by fisheries trusts, local authorities, community groups and others and which include some element of giant hogweed control. The majority of these projects also include control of other bankside plants such as Japanese knotweed, Himalayan balsam and rhododendron.


SEPA (Water Environment Fund)

Scottish Natural Heritage

Scottish Rural Development Programme (SRDP) funding** (awards to all beneficiaries)



Restoration Fund*





















£47,574 offered




Up to £100,000 available

£16,925 offered





£10,075 offered



*SEPA committed £645,000 from the Restoration Fund between 2008-09 and 2010-11.

**SRDP funding is given in calendar years.

Current Status: Answered by Aileen McLeod on 02/11/2015
This website is using cookies.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website.