Motions, Questions and Answers Search


Motions, Questions and Answers Search Help


To ask the Scottish Government, further to the answer to question S4W-24953 by Jamie Hepburn on 26 March 2015, how it ensures that the abuse or neglect of vulnerable adults by carers is addressed and what action it expects (a) A&E and (b) other NHS staff to take if they suspect such abuse or neglect.

Answered by Jamie Hepburn (28/04/2015):

The Adult Support and Protection Act 2007 provides for local authorities to investigate abuse or neglect of vulnerable people by carers, or others, and to take action to protect adults at risk from further harm. The police can conduct a criminal investigation and if a carer is subsequently found guilty of a criminal offence this could result in them being sent to jail. Where the Care Inspectorate identifies adults receiving care are at risk of harm it will refer these matters directly to the local authority, and or police, to investigate. The Care Inspectorate expects care services to notify it of incidents that cause harm or potential harm to people using care services. Once notified, the Care Inspectorate may investigate further or conduct scrutiny where it has concerns about risks to vulnerable people. A & E and other NHS staff are expected to notify the appropriate local authority if they suspect a carer of abusing or neglecting a vulnerable person.

Current Status: Answered by Jamie Hepburn on 28/04/2015
This website is using cookies.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website.