Skip to main content

Language: English / GĂ idhlig


Chamber and committees

Question ref. S6W-01411
Asked by: Alexander Burnett, Aberdeenshire West, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party
Date lodged: 14 July 2021


To ask the Scottish Government how it will ensure that local authorities progress withdrawal from school requests from the parent with whom children ordinarily reside, in the absence of a court order, to prevent home education being undermined and used to exert control by coercive, abusive or violent former partners

Current status: Answered by Shirley-Anne Somerville on 27 July 2021


It is for local authorities to process an application to withdraw a child from school, and the home education guidance advises local authorities to note that home education is a key aspect of parental choice, and that consent to withdraw a child from school should not be unreasonably withheld.

The review of the home education guidance will emphasise the importance of all parties working together to develop mutual trust and respect, and a positive relationship that functions in the best interest of the child. This is inclusive of the process around requests to withdraw a child from school.