Website survey

We want your feedback on the Scottish Parliament website. Take our 6 question survey now

Skip to main content

Language: English / GĂ idhlig


Chamber and committees

Question ref. S4W-30410
Asked by: Kevin Stewart, Aberdeen Central, Scottish National Party
Date lodged: 8 March 2016


To ask the Scottish Government what support is available to (a) property owners and (b) tenants to enforce minor repairs and maintenance in order to prevent essential repairs being needed at a later date.

Current status: Answered by Margaret Burgess on 17 March 2016


Assistance for home owners is the responsibility of local authorities. Local authorities have a wide range of powers to assist owners who need help with work needed to look after their home. However, it is for each local authority to decide what kinds of help should be provided in different circumstances and this will be subject to local priorities and budgets.

If occupants are private tenants, the landlord is required to meet their duty to repair and maintain its properties as set out in the repairing standard under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006. Private tenants can apply to the Private Rented Housing Panel for assistance if landlords fail to carry out repairs that are needed to meet the repairing standard. The Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 introduces new powers for local authorities to raise breaches of the statutory repairing standard for private rented homes directly with the Private Rented Housing Panel on behalf of vulnerable tenants.

If occupants are social tenants, the landlord is expected to meet their duty to repair and maintain property under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 and to ensure that property meets the Scottish Housing Quality Standard. Social tenants have a right of complaint against their landlord to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman.