Skip to main content

Language: English / GĂ idhlig


Chamber and committees

Question reference: S5W-21388

  • Asked by: Oliver Mundell, MSP for Dumfriesshire, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party
  • Date lodged: 4 February 2019
  • Current status: Answered by Aileen Campbell on 21 February 2019


To ask the Scottish Government what help it offers to communities that are seeking to (a) improve the appearance of buildings that are considered to be "eyesores" and (b) bring derelict buildings back to use.


We offer various types of help to communities to address this kind of situation. The Part 3A community right to buy provides a compulsory purchase power for communities to take ownership of land (and buildings) that are abandoned or neglected. The Scottish Land Fund provides financial support to communities who wish to take ownership of land and buildings that matter to them, as well as practical support to develop their aspirations into viable projects – this does not need to be done through formal community right to buy routes.

We have established the Vacant and Derelict Land taskforce to consider ways to bring vacant and derelict land into productive use. A key approach of the taskforce will be to work with communities to help them identify land that can be used for purposes that will support local needs.

We also support local government in the delivery of locally-led regeneration projects including through our Regeneration Capital Grant Fund and Vacant and Derelict Land Fund.