Motions, Questions and Answers Search

We've released the first version of our new website and are looking for your feedback. Take a look and give us your views:

Motions, Questions and Answers Search Help


To ask the Scottish Government whether it will provide an update on what measures it is taking to help homeowners obtain fire safety certificates for cladding to high-rise buildings, in light of reports that lenders have started refusing to approve mortgages for properties without these.

Answered by Kevin Stewart (07/01/2020):

Fire safety certificates have been introduced by industry in response to the implementation by mortgage lenders of a requirement for additional information in respect of high-rise domestic buildings. Responsibility for mortgage lending is a matter reserved to the UK Government, although the policy decisions taken by lenders are those of independent bodies.

While this is a reserved matter, I have written to the UK Secretary of State three times and also to UK Finance. In addition, Scottish Government officials have held discussions with the UK Government, UK Finance and also with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

On 16 December the RICS, UK Finance and Building Societies Association announced the introduction of a process to help people buy and sell homes and re-mortgage in buildings with a floor above 18 metres.

The Scottish Government will continue to monitor and engage with those industry bodies, and others, to ensure that the matter is fully resolved for all those affected.

Current Status: Answered by Kevin Stewart on 07/01/2020
This website is using cookies.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website.