About the Bill
The Restricted Roads (20 mph Speed Limit) (Scotland) Bill was introduced by Mark Ruskell MSP on 21 September 2018.
A Bill for an Act of the Scottish Parliament to reduce the general speed limit on restricted roads to 20 miles per hour; and for connected purposes.
Restricted Roads (20mph Speed Limit) (Scotland) Bill
The Committee agreed its approach to the Bill at Stage 1 on 7 November 2018.
|31 October & 7 November
||Approach to Bill considered
|9 November 2018
||Call for evidence launched
28 January 2019
|Call for evidence closes
|6 February 2019
||Evidence with campaign groups and health experts
|20 February 2019
||Evidence with drivers and passengers group
|6 March 2019
||Evidence with local authorities and Scottish Government
|20 March 2019
||Evidence with Member in Charge
The call for evidence is now closed - no further submissions will be accepted.
Read the submissions received
- Letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivty to the Committee regarding the Scottish Government's initial views on the Bill, 30 October 2018 (285KB pdf)
- Letter from the Non-Government Bills Unit to the Committee regarding the Financial Memorandum, 30 January 2019 (220KB pdf)
- Supplementary evidence from Police Scotland following their appearance before the Committee on 6 March, 6 March 2019 (11KB pdf)
- Supplementary evidence from the Society of Chief Officers for Transportation in Scotland (SCOTS) following their appearance before the Committee 6 March, 12 March 2019 (102KB pdf)
- Letter from Mark Ruskell MSP to the Committee clarifying various contextual issues that have arisen during previous committee evidence sessions on the Bill, prior to his appearance before the Committee, 13 March 2019 (1704KB pdf)
- Further letter from Mark Ruskell MSP to the Committee regarding research on Police Scotland and enforcement of 20mph speed limits in the context of the Bill, 18 March 2019 (515KB pdf)
- Letter from the Society of Chief Officers for Transportation in Scotland (SCOTS) to the Committee following the 6 March evidence session regarding the number of restricted roads in Scotland and TRO process, 19 March 2019 (204KB pdf)
- Letter from Mark Ruskell MSP to the Committee following the evidence session on 20 March 2019, 28 March 2019 (942KB pdf)
- Letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity to the Committee regarding the potential barriers to the implementation of 20mph speed limits, 3 April 2019 (308KB pdf)
- Letter from Mark Ruskell to the Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity (copied to the Committee) regarding the Bill, 25 April 2019 (71KB pdf)
Work by other Committees
The Delegated Powers and Law Reform Committee considered the Bill on 23 October 2018 and published a report on the Bill.
The Committee published its Stage 1 Report on 31 May 2019.
The Committee received a response from the Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity on 10 June 2019.
The Committee received a response to its report from Mark Ruskell on 12 June 2019.