About the Inquiry
On 7 March 2019, the Committee received a joint letter from GMB Scotland and Unite the Union regarding the future of BiFab.
On 23 April 2019, the Committee held an evidence session on BiFab, the offshore wind sector and Scottish supply chain. The Committee took evidence from:
- Andrew Jamieson, Chief Executive, ORE Catapult
- Nick Sharpe, Director of Communications, Scottish Renewables
- Audrey MacIver, Director of Energy and Low Carbon, Highlands and Islands Enterprise
- Andy McDonald, Director of Energy and Low Carbon Technology, Scottish Enterprise
- Peter Welsh, Head of Campaigns, Communications and Policy, GMB Scotland
- Pat Rafferty, Regional Secretary, Unite Scotland
- Bill Elkington, Director, BiFab and Chairman, The JV Driver Group
- Sean Power, Director, BiFab and VP Business Development, DF Barnes
The official report for the meeting is available here:
On 23 April, the Committee received a letter from Tony Mackay, Professor of Energy Economics.
Following the meeting on 23 April, Sean Power VP of Business Development at DF Barnes wrote to the Committee.
Following the Committee's evidence session on 23 April, the Committee wrote to the Cabinet Secretary for Finance, Economy and Fair Work and the Minister of State for Energy and Clean Growth on 26 April 2019. On 26 June, Chris Skidmore, Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and lnnovation wrote to the Committee.
The Committee wrote to the Cabinet Secretary for Finance, Economy and Fair Work on 30 April 2019. The Cabinet Secretary responded on 1 May 2019.
On 16 May 2019 the Cabinet Secretary wrote to the Committee regarding the Offshore Wind Summit held on 2 May 2019.
On 27 June, Scottish Enterprise wrote to the Committee with further information.
On 25 June the Committee took evidence from the Scottish Government.
- Derek Mackay, Cabinet Secretary for Finance, Economy and Fair Work
- Andrew Hogg, Deputy Director for Energy Industries
- David Pratt, Head of Planning and Strategy, Marine Scotland
The Committee wrote to the Cabinet Secretary for Finance, Economy and Fair Work on 27 June following the Cabinet Secretary's appearance before the Committee on 25 June.
Dean Lockhart MSP attended a Scottish Government summit on these matters (on behalf of the Committee) on 16 January 2020. The Committee has agreed to consider these matters again in June 2020.