About the Bill
A Bill for an Act of the Scottish Parliament to make provision in relation to the assumed rate of return on investment of particular damages awarded in personal injury cases; and to make provision in relation to periodical payments of various damages awarded in personal injury cases.
Current Status of the Bill
This Scottish Government Bill was introduced by the Cabinet Secretary for Justice, Michael Matheson MSP, on 14 June 2018
The Economy, Jobs and Fair Work Committee was designated the lead Committee for Stage 1 scrutiny.
The Committee launched a call for views on 22 June 2018. The deadline for responses was Friday 7 September 2018.
Read the written submissions
At its meeting on 23 October 2018 the Committee took evidence from:
- Gordon Dalyell, Vice President, Association of Personal Injury Lawyers;
- Patrick McGuire, Solicitor Advocate, Thompsons Solicitors;
- Simon Di Rollo QC, Faculty of Advocates;
- Professor Victoria Wass, Professor of HRM, Cardiff Business School.
At its meeting on 30 October the Committee took evidence from:
- Alan Rogerson, Forum of Scottish Claims Managers;
- Kate Donachie, Forum of Insurance Lawyers;
- Norma Shippin, Director and Legal Advisor, NHS National Services Scotland;
- Joy Atterbury, Head of Litigation, NHS National Services Scotland;
- James Dalton, Director of General Insurance Policy, Association of British Insurers.
After the evidence session, the Committee wrote to Personal Financial Planning Ltd and Pannells Financial Planning Ltd
The Committee heard from the Minister for Community Safety at its meeting on 6 November 2018.
The Minister for Community Safety wrote to the Committee on 16 November 2018 to provide further evidence.
The Scottish Government provided further evidence to the Committee on 22 November 2018.
The Committee reported on 3 December 2018.
The Minister for Community Safety responded on 13 December 2018.
On 9 January 2019, the Minister for Community Safety wrote to the Committee to advise it of the amendments that they intend to lay.
Read the call for evidence for the Bill
Work by other Committees