The Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee has agreed to review the Scottish Government’s draft Climate Change Plan (third Report on Proposals and Policies – RPP3) as part of a collaborative scrutiny approach with the:
- Economy, Jobs and Fair Work Committee
- Local Government and Communities Committee
- Rural Economy and Connectivity Committee
The remit for review is—
“To consider the draft Climate Change Plan (third Report on Proposals and Policies- RPP3) and the effectiveness of this in meeting the emissions reduction targets”.
The Committees are interested in receiving views directly on the elements of the RPP3 within their remit as part of this inquiry.
Details of how to submit your views to the Committees can be found below. The deadline for responses is 10 February 2017.
The draft third Scottish Government Report on Proposals and Policies was laid in the Parliament on 19 January 2017. Under the provisions of the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 Parliament has a maximum of 60 days to report on the document. Several Committees have identified an interest in scrutinising the draft report. Each Committee will separately consider the elements of the Report within their remit and will report directly to Parliament.
The Committees will focus their scrutiny in the following areas:
Economy, Jobs and Fair Work Committee - [email protected]
- Electricity generation
- Reducing energy demand;
- Renewable energy (renewable electricity and renewable heat);
- Grid issues; and
- Fuel poverty.
Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee - [email protected]
- Overview, development of draft Climate Change Plan;
- Climate change governance (including monitoring and evaluation);
- Resource use;
- Land use (including peatlands and land use by the public sector); and
- Behaviour change.
Local Government and Communities - [email protected]
- Local government;
- Planning; and
Rural Economy and Connectivity - [email protected]
- Rural affairs
- Forestry; and
The Committees are particularly interested in the following questions as they relate to their specific remits —
- progress to date in cutting emissions within the sector/sectors of interest and implementing the proposals and policies set out in the RPP2;
- the scale of reductions proposed within their sector/s and appropriateness and effectiveness of the proposals and policies within the draft RPP3 for meeting the annual emissions targets and contributing towards the 2020 and 2050 targets;
- the appropriateness of the timescales over which the proposals and policies within the draft RPP3 are expected to take effect
- the extent to which the proposals and policies reflect considerations about behaviour change and opportunities to secure wider benefits (e.g. environmental, financial and health) from specific interventions in particular sectors.
You are invited to respond to each Committee, identifying if that response is for the individual Committee or for consideration by other Parliamentary Committees, on as many or as few of these questions as you wish.
The call for written views will help the Committees gather information and opinions about the likely impact of the draft Climate Change Plan. Committees have a limited time in which to report to Parliament and will take oral evidence as part of the inquiry in advance of the closing date for submission of views.
How to submit your views
The call for written views will close on 10 FEBRUARY 2017.
Before making a submission, please read our policy on treatment of written evidence by subject and mandatory Committees.
Owing to the timescale required to process and analyse evidence, late submissions will only be accepted with the advance agreement of the Committee Conveners. Responses to each relevant Committee should be no more than four sides of A4 in length.
We welcome written views in English, Gaelic, Scots or any other language.
Responses should be sent electronically in Word format or in hard copy to the following addresses as required:
Economy, Jobs and Fair Work Committee
T2:60, Scottish Parliament, EH99 1SP
Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee
T3:40, Scottish Parliament, EH99 1SP
Local Government and Communities Committee
T3:60, Scottish Parliament, EH99 1SP
Rural Economy and Connectivity Committee
T3:40, Scottish Parliament, EH99 1SP