An impressive line-up of inspiring women are taking part in a forthcoming event at Holyrood on 23 March has been announced today by the Presiding Officer the Rt Hon Tricia Marwick MSP.
Amal Azzudin, Campaigner for the Glasgow Girls; Khaleda Noon, Youth Development Manager for Sikh Sanjog; Cara Henderson, Founder of Nil By Mouth; Professor Pamela Gillies CBE, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of Glasgow Caledonian University; and Louise Macdonald OBE, Chief Executive of Young Scot will take part in the ‘Inspiring Young Women’ event. This major event brings together 128 young women from schools across Scotland. It has been designed to encourage young women to recognise their potential and to have the confidence to fulfil it.
The Presiding Officer explained:
“They are outstanding women who saw issues in their communities that needed to be addressed and set out to tackle them.
“These ‘Inspiring Women’ are role models. The young women attending next week will have the capacity within them to be as inspiring as the women we are announcing today, they just won’t know it yet. The event on Monday will provide a platform to share our experiences and help the young women be the best they can be.”
The event will explore themes of confidence, leadership and barriers that hold young women back from being the best they can be. The young women will meet with and have the opportunity to question the Inspiring Women and female MSPs who are playing leading roles in their parties.
MSPs supporting the day are: First Minister of Scotland, the Rt Hon Nicola Sturgeon MSP, Leader of Scottish Labour in the Scottish Parliament Kezia Dugdale MSP, Leader of the Scottish Conservatives Ruth Davidson MSP, Business Manager and Spokesperson for Justice for the Scottish Liberal Democrats Alison McInnes MSP and Scottish Greens’ spokesperson on sport, rural affairs, environment, culture and education Alison Johnstone MSP.
Following a morning of discussions, the Presiding Officer will chair a panel session with four MSPs in the Debating Chamber. This will be broadcast live on the Parliament’s website, and members of the public can pre-book tickets to watch from the Public Gallery.
Members of the public are able to request tickets for the public gallery by:
- Phoning the Parliament’s Visitor Services team in advance on 0800 092 7600 or 0131 348 5200 (We also welcome calls using the Text Relay service.)
- Emailing [email protected]
To accommodate the event, Holyrood will be closed to visitors without appointments or taking part in the day.
32 schools across Scotland (1 in each local authority area) will send four young women to attend the Inspiring Young Women event at Holyrood. Scottish Parliament staff are working closely with the S4 and S5 year group pupils ahead of the event to ensure they get the best from their time on the day.
Schools taking part are:
- Aberdeen City - Torry Academy
- Aberdeenshire - Peterhead Academy
- Angus - Arbroath Academy
- Argyll & Bute - Dunoon Grammar School
- Clackmannanshire - Alloa Academy
- Dumfries & Galloway - Maxwelltown High School
- Dundee City - Off-site Education Service
- East Ayrshire - Doon Academy
- East Dunbartonshire - Boclair Academy
- East Lothian - Preston Lodge High School
- East Renfrewshire - Barrhead High School
- Edinburgh City - Castlebrae Community High School
- Eilean Siar - Sgoil Lionacleit
- Falkirk - Falkirk High School
- Fife - Auchmuty High School
- Glasgow City - Springburn Academy
- Highland - Inverness High School
- Inverclyde - St Stephen's High School
- Midlothian - Newbattle High School
- Moray - Forres Academy
- North Ayrshire - Irvine Royal Academy
- North Lanarkshire - Braidhurst High School
- Orkney Islands - Stromness Academy
- Perth & Kinross – Perth Academy
- Renfrewshire - Castlehead High School
- Scottish Borders - Hawick High School
- Shetland Islands - Anderson High School
- South Ayrshire - Ayr Academy
- South Lanarkshire - St. John Ogilvie High
- Stirling - Wallace High School
- West Dunbartonshire - St Peter the Apostle High School
- West Lothian - St Kentigern's Academy
To find out more about the pupils participating in the event from each school, please contact the schools directly.