Stage 1 scrutiny by the Delegated Powers and Law Reform Committee
The Succession (Scotland) Bill was introduced on 16 June 2015.
This is a Scottish Law Commission (SLC) Bill which implements legislative recommendations contained in the SLC Report on Succession published in 2009.
The Commission’s recommendations covered both a fundamental overhaul of the law on succession and a range of miscellaneous recommendations to modernise and clarify the largely technical area of the administration of estates and succession law.
This Bill takes forward mainly technical recommendations relating to jurisdiction and choice of law; wills and survivorship; and rights of succession in limited circumstances.
The Bill covers reforms to the following key areas:
- Testamentary Documents and Special Destinations;
- Estate Administration;
- Miscellaneous reforms.
The Delegated Powers and Law Reform Committee was formally designated lead committee for the Bill on 24 June 2015.
The Committee published its Stage 1 report on the Bill on 2 November 2015.
Stage 2 proceedings took place on 8 December 2015.
The Bill was passed by Parliament after the Stage 3 debate on Thursday 28 January 2016.
The Committee issued a call for evidence. The call for evidence closed on Friday 7 August at 6pm.
- 8 September 2015 - Scottish Government officials and the Scottish Law Commission (SLC). Watch the video
- 15 September 2015 - Law Society of Scotland, Faculty of Advocates, Burnett & Reid LLP, Brodies LLP. Watch the video
- 22 September 2015 - TrustBar, Professors from both Glasgow and Aberdeen Universities. Watch the video
- 29 September 2015 - Minister for Community Safety and Legal Affairs and Scottish Government officials. Watch the video
- 26 January 2016 - Minister for Community Safety and Legal Affairs and Scottish Government officials, Scottish Law Commission and Scottish Government officials, Dr Dot Reid, Eilidh Scobbie and John Kerrigan. Watch the video
Read the meeting papers and Official Reports of these meetings
The Committee published its Stage 1 report on the Succession (Scotland) Bill on 2 November 2015.
64th Report, 2015 (Session 4): Report on the Succession (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1
The Minister for Community Safety and Legal Affairs responded to the Committee's report on 5 November 2015.
The Stage 1 debate took place on Wednesday 11 November 2015. Watch the video (external website) or
Stage 2 proceedings took place on Tuesday 8 December 2015. Watch the video (external website) or
The Stage 3 debate took place on Thursday 28 January 2016 after which the Bill was passed by Parliament.