The Local Government and Regeneration Committee, the Rural Affairs, Climate Change and Environment Committee, the Energy Economy and Tourism Committee and the Infrastructure and Capital Investment Committee have agreed to review the Scottish Government’s draft second Report on Policies and Proposals (RPP2)
The remit for review is—
“To consider the draft second Report on Proposals and Policies and the effectiveness of these in meeting the emissions reduction targets”.
The Committees were interested in receiving views directly on the elements of the RPP2 within their remit as part of this inquiry.
The Local Government and Regeneration Committee's call for evidence has now closed. The deadline for responses was Wednesday 20 February 2013.
The Scottish Government's Draft Second Report on Proposals and Policies was laid in the Parliament on 29 January 2013. Under the provisions of the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 Parliament has a maximum of 60 days to report on the document. Four parliamentary Committees have identified an interest in scrutinising the draft report: the Infrastructure and Capital Investment, Rural Affairs, Climate Change and Environment, Economy Energy and Tourism, and Local Government and Regeneration Committees. Each Committee will separately consider the elements of the Report within their remit and will report directly to Parliament.
Local Government and Regeneration Committee will focus its scrutiny on:
- Local government spending and plans on climate change targets;
- Planning policy and climate change targets, and
- Communities aspects of climate change and the role of regeneration policy in delivering on climate change targets.
The other committees are examining:
ICI Committee: Fuel poverty/energy efficiency in housing; Transport; Procurement and Scottish Water;
EET Committee: Energy supply, Heat, and; Business – energy efficiency;
RACCE Committee: Development of RPP2; Climate change governance (including monitoring); Rural affairs (fisheries and agriculture); Land use; Resource use; and; Behaviour change.
The Local Government and Regeneration Committee was seeking views on the Scottish Government’s draft second Report on Policies and Proposals (RPP2).
- Deadline for written submissions - 20 February
- Stakeholder oral evidence in round table - 20 February
- Evidence from Ministers/Cabinet Secretary - 27 February
- Consider and agree draft report - 13 and 20 March
- Chamber debates end of March 2013
The call for views is now closed.
The Committees are particularly interested in the following questions as they relate to their specific remits —
• The effectiveness of progress towards implementing the proposals and policies set out in the RPP1 and the appropriateness of the proposed adjustments to the proposals and policies within the RPP1
• The effectiveness of the proposals and policies with the draft RPP2 for meeting the annual emissions targets
• how these proposals and policies are likely to contribute towards the achievement of the interim target, the 2050 target and, in each target year, the domestic effort target;
• the appropriateness of the timescales over which the proposals and policies within the draft RPP2 are expected to take effect
Read the evidence submissions received:
The Committee took oral evidence at its meetings on:
The Committee received supplementary written evidence from:
Correspondence from Minister for Environment and Climate Change 20130627 (981KB pdf)