Proposed Private and Hybrid Bills

Private and Hybrid Bills that are expected to be introduced in the near future

A Private Bill is introduced by a promoter, who may be a person, a company or a group of people, for the purpose of obtaining particular powers or benefits that are in addition to, or in conflict with, the general law. Individuals or bodies whose private interests would be adversely affected by the Bill have a right to object to it. You can find out more from the Private Bills page.

A Hybrid Bill is a public Bill, introduced by Scottish Ministers, which adversely affects the private interests of individuals or bodies in a manner different to the private interests of others in the same category or class. Such individuals or bodies have a right to object to the Bill.  You can find out more from the Hybrid Bills page

Before a Private or a Hybrid Bill can be introduced, the promoter or Scottish Government (as the case may be) must arrange for advertisements to be taken out in newspapers announcing the intention to introduce the Bill.  A copy of these advertisements is also posted on this page, together with any other relevant information.

When a Private or Hybrid Bill is introduced, a new page will be created for it, which will be accessible from the main Bills page.  At that point, the information about it on this page will be removed.

Proposed Solicitors in the Supreme Courts of Scotland (Amendment) Bill

The Society of Solicitors in the Supreme Courts of Scotland intends to promote a Private Bill in the Scottish Parliament. The Solicitors in the Supreme Courts of Scotland (Amendment) Bill will amend existing private legislation from 1871 to the extent only of making new provisions for the internal management of the society, principally to give the Society new powers including to close an existing fund for dependants or to wind up the Society. It is anticipated that the Bill will be introduced in September 2019. Further information about the Bill may be obtained from: The Secretary, The SSC Society, SSC Library, Parliament House, Edinburgh EH1 1RF or at Information about the Parliamentary process (including how to lodge an objection) can be obtained from NGBU, the Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh EH99 1SP or on the Scottish Parliament website ( under Parliamentary Business / Bills / Bills Explained / Private Bills.

















This website is using cookies.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website.