Motions, Questions and Answers Search

We've released the first version of our new website and are looking for your feedback. Take a look and give us your views:

Motions, Questions and Answers Search Help


To ask the Scottish Government what help it offers to communities that are seeking to (a) improve the appearance of buildings that are considered to be "eyesores" and (b) bring derelict buildings back to use.

Answered by Aileen Campbell (21/02/2019):

We offer various types of help to communities to address this kind of situation. The Part 3A community right to buy provides a compulsory purchase power for communities to take ownership of land (and buildings) that are abandoned or neglected. The Scottish Land Fund provides financial support to communities who wish to take ownership of land and buildings that matter to them, as well as practical support to develop their aspirations into viable projects – this does not need to be done through formal community right to buy routes.

We have established the Vacant and Derelict Land taskforce to consider ways to bring vacant and derelict land into productive use. A key approach of the taskforce will be to work with communities to help them identify land that can be used for purposes that will support local needs.

We also support local government in the delivery of locally-led regeneration projects including through our Regeneration Capital Grant Fund and Vacant and Derelict Land Fund.

Current Status: Answered by Aileen Campbell on 21/02/2019
This website is using cookies.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website.