The sixth annual St Andrew’s Day Debate will take place in the Scottish Parliament on Monday 3 December.
Held in partnership with the Scottish Government and the English Speaking Union, this unique event brings together students from schools and universities across Scotland. The student teams pair up to compete in heats in the hope of making it through to the final to be held in the Parliament’s Debating Chamber.
Deputy Presiding Officer Elaine Smith MSP who will be chairing the event said:
“Hosting the St Andrew’s Day Debate is an apt way for the Scottish Parliament to mark St Andrew’s Day. It is therefore fitting that the Debating Chamber will host these budding debaters of the future as they take part in the final.
“I would also encourage members of the public to come along, as previous years have shown that the calibre of debate from these young people deserves to have as wide an audience as possible.”
The finals will take place in the Parliament’s Debating Chamber from 16.30 on Monday 3 December. Members of the public are welcome to attend and winners will be announced at completion of events. There will be five prizes awarded for:
• Best University Speaker of the Day
• Best School Speaker of the Day
• Best Contribution from the Floor
• Runner-up St Andrew’s Day Debating Championship
• Winner of St Andrew’s Day Debating Championship
The St Andrews Day debate teams will debate motions covering a range of topical and current issues with the Year of Creative Scotland and the forthcoming Year of Natural Scotland as the backdrop.
The schools taking part in the St Andrews Day Debate are:
• Boroughmuir High School (Edinburgh Central)
• Craigholme School (Glasgow Southside)
• Denny High School (Falkirk West)
• Douglas Academy (Clydebank & Milngavie)
• Dunblane High School (Clackmannanshire and Dunblane)
• Earlston High School (Midlothian South, Tweeddale and Lauderdale)
• Forfar Academy (Angus North and Mearns)
• Forrester High School (Edinburgh Western)
• Grove Academy (Dundee City East)
• Hillpark Secondary School (Glasgow Cathcart)
• Linlithgow Academy (Linlithgow)
• McLaren High School (Stirling)
• Mearns Castle High School (Eastwood)
• Nairn Academy (Inverness and Nairn)
• Notre Dame High School (Glasgow Kelvin)
• Portobello High School (Edinburgh Eastern)
• Robert Gordon's College (Aberdeen Central)
• Rothesay Academy (Argyll & Bute)
• St Andrews R.C School (Glasgow Provan)
• St Joseph's Academy, Dumfries (Dumfriesshire)
• St Luke's High School (Renfrewshire South
• Strathclyde Abronhill High School (Cumbernauld & Kilsyth)
• Uddingston Grammar School (Uddingston & Bellshill)
Photographs of the event will be available free of charge. Please contact Scottish Parliament photographer Andrew Cowan on 0131 348 5878.