The fifth annual St Andrew’s Day Debate took place yesterday in the Scottish Parliament.
The final motion was: “This House would make voting compulsory”.
The winners were:
- Best University Speaker of the Day
Michael Hepburn from University of Strathclyde
- Best School Speaker of the Day
Andrew Niven from Stewart’s Melville
- Best Contribution from the Floor
Katie Hart from Bearsden Academy
- Runner-Up in the 2011 St Andrew’s Day Debating Championship
Michael Hepburn from University of Strathclyde and Andrew Niven from Stewart’s Melville
- Winner of the 2011 St Andrew’s Day Debating Championship
David Norris from the University of Edinburgh and Ruairidh Ferguson from Douglas Academy
Held in partnership with the Scottish Government and the English Speaking Union, this unique event brought together students from schools and universities across Scotland.
The final took place in Parliament’s debating chamber.