The Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) has today published its Equalities Report covering 2006.
The report highlights steps taken by the Corporate Body during the past year to ensure that it continues to fulfil its commitment to promoting equal opportunities for all; one of the Scottish Parliament’s founding principles.
This is the fourth year the report has been published and it highlights how the SPCB has striven to ensure equalities issues are considered in all of its activities including employment practices, services and other functions.
SPCB Equal Opportunities Report 2006 (591KB pdf)
Achievements set out in the Annual Report include:
- The suffragette movement in Scotland exhibition which was displayed in the Parliament from December 2006 to March 2007.
- The exhibition highlighted the campaign by women in Scotland to gain equal voting rights with men. This was explored through the display of artefacts and documents relating to the suffrage movement. The exhibition was pro-actively advertised to gender organisations with the aim of improving involvement with the Parliament.
- “Access for All” disability equality training during May, June and October 2006. The purpose of the training was to raise awareness and inform staff members about the use of language and etiquette in relation to disability equality and to ensure the Parliament building and its services are accessible for all.
- Activities to promote the new Age Discrimination Legislation to all staff, Members and Members staff.
- A display was held in the Garden Lobby and workshops entitled “New Age Thinking” ran during October 2006 to provide staff with the opportunity to learn about the new Age Discrimination Legislation and what it means for them as individuals and for the organisation as a whole.
- During 2006, the SPCB also developed a new British Sign Language (BSL) DVD entitled “Your Guide to the Scottish Parliament”. The film is a guide in BSL on visiting the Parliament building and also provides a summary of how the building was built.
The SPCB report will be provided to all newly elected MSPs and is available all offices in the Parliament.