Jobs at Parliament
You can find out more about working at the Parliament, and search for vacancies on our careers site.
Benefits for our staff
As a progressive employer we're committed to maintaining and looking for ways of improving the terms and conditions of staff.
Along with a competitive salary and the opportunity to develop your career with us, you’ll also have access to a number of benefits including:
- flexible working arrangements
- generous holiday allowance
- health and wellbeing schemes
- civil service pension
Find out more about our employee benefits.
See our latest vacancies.
We're committed to:
- promoting equality of opportunity and treatment
- eliminating unfair discrimination in our employment practices
Applying for a job
We want to make sure that all job applicants and staff are treated fairly, with respect and without bias. No job applicant or employee will receive less favourable treatment than others because of her or his:
- disability (unless such treatment is objectively justified)
- gender identity
- sexual orientation, marital or family status
- racial group (includes colour, race, nationality, national or ethnic origin)
- religion, religious belief, or a similar philosophical belief (or lack of any of these)
- part-time or fixed-term contract status (unless such treatment is objectively justified)
- trade union membership status/activities
- offending background
We guarantee to interview any disabled applicants who meet the essential requirements for the job applied for. We're committed to building a diverse and representative workforce. We welcome applications from disabled people and members of the black and minority ethnic communities.
Diversity and inclusion
See more information on Diversity and Inclusion.
Apprenticeships at Scottish Parliament
Our next apprenticeship programme is expected to open later this year. We will update this page when information is available.
See what our previous apprenticeship programmes have offered and read about our apprentices' experiences.
Modern Apprenticeship Programme
We’re committed to creating a workforce which reflects the diversity of Scotland. Our Modern Apprenticeship Programme helps by bringing young people into our organisation and we welcome applications from all communities.
Since launching our programme in 2014, we’ve had 30 Modern Apprentices join us. Nearly all have gone on to get permanent employment with us.
Our Apprentices' stories
Find out what an apprenticeship at Parliament is like.
What will I be doing?
We’ve offered a range of apprenticeships including:
- Business and Administration
- Digital Creative Media
- Customer Services
- Facilities Management
Our apprentices have developed office skills through carrying out real work in a variety of interesting offices whilst also gaining an SVQ Level 3 qualification.
What’s in it for me?
As well as gaining office skills and a qualification, we offer:
- a starting salary of £18,980 increasing to £23,243 if you qualify and are successful in getting a permanent job
- 30 days annual leave and 11.5 days public holiday
- support for your learning and development
Our full-time hours are 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday. We’ve got a great flexi-time system, so with the agreement of your manager you can decide your working day. We're happy to talk about flexible working patterns.
How do I apply?
Our apprenticeships are open to anyone living in Scotland aged 16-24 years. This is up to 29 years for candidates with a disability or who are care experienced.
You must not already have an SVQ at Level 3, or higher qualification than this.
Our apprenticeship programme is currently closed. We will update this page when the programme reopens.
Follow us on social media @ScotParl #SPApprentices, Facebook and Instagram
You can also sign up for job alerts on our careers site.