Let the Local Government and Regeneration Committee Know What YOU Think About Community Empowerment and Local Government Licensing
DATE: Monday 24th November 2014,
TIME: 2.45pm – 4.15pm
LOCATION: Lochaber High School, Fort William
The Scottish Parliament's Local Government and Regeneration Committee is coming to Fort William as part of its scrutiny of two pieces of legislation, the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Bill and the Air Weapons and Licensing (Scotland) Bill. More information about these Bills can be found on the Committee’s webpage:
Community Empowerment (Scotland) Bill
Air Weapons and Licensing (Scotland) Bill
Community Engagement Event
The Committee will hold a community engagement event to hear the views of individuals and the ‘voice’ of organisations active in the community with a central focus on community empowerment. Later, the Committee will hold a formal meeting at which it will take evidence from invited witnesses on the Community Empowerment Bill. This meeting is open to the public if you wish to observe it.
The community event will provide an opportunity for participants to discuss informally their views with MSPs. We would like to hear from local community groups (including community councils), third sector organisations, charities, business representatives and individuals from across the Highland region.
Issues to be considered will include:
· proposed changes to the Community Planning system
· widening of the Community Right to Buy land
· new formal process for Participation Requests, e.g. request by a community group to improve a service
· new formal process for Asset Transfers Requests of public sector owned land or buildings
· new duty on local authorities to maintain a register of Common Good Property and consult the community about disposal or change of use
· Updating of Allotments legislation and new waiting list duty on local authorities
· New Licensing Provisions (air weapons, alcohol, taxis and private hire cars, metal dealers, sexual entertainment venues and public entertainment venues)
MSPs on the Committee intend to draw upon the outcome of these discussions to help them reach their view on the Bills.
Formal Committee Meeting
The Committee meeting will last approximately from 5.15pm to 8pm and take place at Lochaber High School. This will see invited witnesses giving evidence, on the record, on the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Bill. There will be a 30 minute public Question and Answer session at the end of the meeting giving audience members the opportunity to ask questions to the committee based upon the topics discussed at the meeting.
Booking essential. Places are limited for both the community event and the public gallery of the formal meeting, so booking is essential.
If you would like to take part, or watch the Committee meeting please contact the Local Government and Regeneration Committee via email: email@example.com
You can also ring 0131 348 6040 or 0131 348 5223 to book a place.