About the Inquiry
At the beginning of the session the Committee agreed to carry out one-off evidence sessions with the special health boards and regulatory public bodies. As organisations that receive public funds they fall to be held accountable by the Health and Sport Committee in relation to their performance, value for money and meeting of objectives.
Following evidence sessions with regulatory public bodies and special NHS Boards in January and May 2017, the Committee agreed to carry out one-off evidence sessions with all territorial Health Boards.
The focus is on performance against Local Delivery Plans (LDPs) and the following will be asked of all NHS Health Boards to whom the invitation to give evidence is extended:
• to make a submission setting out their progress in current (or, if recently concluded, previous) period in delivering their LDPs;
• the performance and progress of their Integrated Joint Boards;
• to submit their most recent annual review self-assessment and feedback letter from the Cabinet Secretary/Ministers; and
• to submit their Local Performance Reports.
The timetable of evidence sessions with NHS Health Boards is as follows:-
- Ayrshire and Arran - 5 December 2017
- Forth Valley - 16 January 2018
- Lothian - 24 April 2018
- Greater Glasgow and Clyde - 8 May 2018
- Orkney, Shetland and Western Isles - 15 May 2018
- Follow up evidence session with Ayrshire and Arran - 15 May 2018
- Dumfries and Galloway - date to be confirmed
- Borders - date to be confirmed
- Lanarkshire - date to be confirmed
- Highland - date to be confirmed
- Fife - date to be confirmed
- Grampian - date to be confirmed
- Tayside - date to be confirmed
To date the following sessions have been held:
17 January 2017 - SPSO and the Care Inspectorate
24 January 2017 - Scottish Health Council and sportscotland
A further evidence and review session with the Scottish Health Council, following on from the 24 January 2017 session, is scheduled for 1 May 2018 (see below).
31 January 2017 - Healthcare Improvement Scotland
9 May 2017 - NHS National Waiting Times Centre (Golden Jubilee Hospital)
16 May 2017 - NHS Health Scotland
23 May 2017 - Scottish Ambulance Service
5 December 2017 - NHS Ayrshire and Arran
Following the evidence session on 5 December the Committee issued a letter to John Burns, Chief Executive:
The Committee subsequently issued further correspondence to John Burns on various points:
Having considered all correspondence, the Committee invited NHS Ayrshire and Arran to a follow up evidence session on 15 May 2018.
16 January 2018 - NHS Forth Valley
Following the evidence session on 16 January the Committee issued a letter to Cathie Cowan, Chief Executive:
24 April 2018 - NHS Lothian
Following the evidence session on 24 April the Committee issued a letter to Jim Crombie, Interim Chief Executive, NHS Lothian:
The Committee received a response from Jim Crombie, Interim Chief Executive, NHS Lothian on 11 June 2018:
1 May 2018 - Scottish Health Council
Update and review following on the evidence session from 24 January 2017.
8 May 2018 - NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
Following the evidence session on 8 May, the Committee issued a letter to John Brown CBE, Chairman, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde:
15 May 2018 - NHS Orkney, NHS Shetland and NHS Western Isles