The Committee will host a round-table discussion on Personal and Social Education (PSE) on Wednesday 22 February 2017. The Committee wants to understand what the main issues are in relation to the content and delivery of PSE. This is likely to be a wide-ranging session and will help the Committee to decide what further work it may do on this topic.
The Committee will hear from the Cabinet Secretary for Education and Skills on 8 March 2016. That session will cover a number of topics including the content and delivery of PSE.
The Committee was keen to hear the views of young people, teachers, parents and carers on PSE.
The Committee sought views on twitter, facebook and by email on this question: "What should personal and social education sessions be about?"
The deadline for submissions to the Committee was Monday 13 February 2017.
The Committee collected evidence from a number of sources.
The Committee asked for short emails from young people, teachers, parents and other interested stakeholders.
The Committee also received a number of submissions to the Committee on this work from organisations and individuals.
- Youthlink Scotland (333KB pdf)
- Barnardos (83KB pdf)
- Children in Scotland (254KB pdf)
- Scottish Youth Parliament (264KB pdf)
- Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education Association (PSHE) (450KB pdf)
- EIS (47KB pdf)
- Monica Porciani Associate Lecturer in Health Education, Strathclyde University (246KB pdf)
- Responses from Schools visiting the Scottish Parliament (86KB pdf)
- Dr Joan Mowat, Senior Lecturer, School of Education, Strathclyde University (144KB pdf)
- Stonewall Scotland (188KB pdf)
- HIV Scotland (423KB pdf)
- Dr David Lewin, Lecturer in Education Studies, Strathclyde University (173KB pdf)
- Sexpression UK (66KB pdf)
- Mary F Lappin, Lecturer, School of Education, University of Glasgow (135KB pdf)
- Zero Tolarance (515KB pdf)
- Population Health Research (Scottish Government) (218KB pdf)
- Perth Academy, Wordle Image Document- (92KB png)
- LGBT Youth Scotland (380KB pdf)
- NSPCC (489KB pdf)
- High School of Dundee (82KB pdf)
- Enable Scotland (241KB pdf)
- Bryan Campbell, Head of PSHE, Merchiston Castle School (68KB pdf)
- PCS Scotland (82KB pdf)
- Josh Traynor S3 Pupil (147KB pdf)
- Children & Young People's Commissioner Scotland (327KB pdf)
- Field Studies Council (296KB pdf)
- Wholelistic Life-Coaching for Kids (297KB pdf)
- Barnado's and NSPCC Joint Briefing (119KB pdf)
During January and February the Committee held a number of focus groups. At three of these groups, a discussion on PSE took place. The following note contains anonymised comments from the groups.
The Convener wrote to the Cabinet Secretary for Education and Skills on 1 March 2017 in advance of the Cabinet Secretary's evidence session on 8 March 2017 regarding the themes raised in the Roundtable session on the 22 February 2017
Letter to Cabinet Secretary for Education and Skills- 1 March 2017 (52KB pdf)