The search is on across Scotland for Local Heroes who make a positive difference to the lives of others.
From today, all 129 MSPs are being asked to nominate one of their constituents in recognition of the important work they do to help others or their community.
On Saturday 2 July, all Local Heroes will be invited to Holyrood as part of the Scottish Parliament’s Opening Ceremony to mark the start of a new parliamentary session.
The day’s events will include:
- Her Majesty The Queen addressing MSPs in the Chamber.
- Local Heroes taking part in the Riding procession down Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, along with around 2,000 other participants in a colourful, historic tradition. The Riding will feature people from all walks of public life and local community groups, plus music and entertainment.
- Holyrood’s Big Day Out – a fun packed afternoon for all the family. With a programme that has something for everyone, the gardens and doors of the Parliament will be open to all to explore, observe and participate in a full programme of events including a mini-Highland games, Music and Dance, Science and Nature, Art activities for Kids and much more.
Presiding Officer Ken Macintosh MSP said:
“Many people give their time and energy to make a positive difference to the lives of others, often without recognition. We want to celebrate the achievements of Local Heroes from every constituency and region in Scotland, and bring them to Holyrood on Saturday 2 July.
“As the new session of the Scottish Parliament gets under way, it’s right that the people of Scotland are placed at the heart of our events.
“We want thousands of people, from right across Scotland, to join us and our Local Heroes at Holyrood, for our Big Day Out on Saturday 2 July.”
Local Heroes have taken part in the opening ceremonies of the Scottish Parliament in 2007 and 2011. Amongst 2011’s Local Heroes were people who had:
- raised funds and collected vital home comforts for troops in Afghanistan;
- run a nightly soup kitchen and offered free meals to homeless people; and
- volunteered selflessly at a local hospice.
To nominate a Local Hero, contact your MSP. All MSPs and their contact details are listed here.
Big Day Out
- More information on the free events for all the family at the Big Day Out.
- Request a free leaflet with details and timings of the Big Day Out events, and other events taking place at Holyrood throughout the year.
Add the Big Day Out to your calendar.
Members of the media should contact:
- Telephone enquiry line: 0800 092 7500 or 0131 348 5395 (Gàidhlig)
- Text 07786 209 888
- Ask a question online through live chat
- We also welcome calls using the Text Relay service or in British Sign Language through contactSCOTLAND-BSL
Keep up to date with us on: