Complaints Procedures

We welcome all feedback. If you want to let us know what we are doing well or how we could improve our service, you can make a comment by emailing or by printing out the attached comment form and returning it to Public Information:

Comments or suggestions? (print version) - English (177KB pdf)

We appreciate that you might wish to make a formal complaint when things go wrong, so we have developed a process that will enable you to bring complaints to our attention.

What do our complaints procedures cover?

Our complaints procedures cover complaints in relation to Scottish Parliament staff or services. View policy statement.

They do not cover complaints about:

  • the merits of a decision taken by the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) acting properly within its legal powers
  • MSPs
  • Scottish Ministers or government policy
  • other organisations.

How do you register your complaint?

This is the first step in having your complaint dealt with. To register your complaint you can do one of the following:

To address and respond to your complaint, we will need information from you. We will use this information only in relation to the specific complaint you have lodged.

Guidance on submitting a complaint is also available in British Sign Language. You can access an online version of the BSL video using the following link:

BSL hands signing  How to submit a complaint - British Sign Language (Windows Media Video)

What do we do with your complaint?

Once we have received your complaint we will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 3 working days, and
  • investigate your complaint and write to you with the conclusions we have reached within 20 working days of receiving it or write to give you an explanation of our progress where a response in 20 working days is not possible, and outline the reasons for this.

We will inform you as soon as possible if your complaint needs to be dealt with by another organisation. If possible, we will indicate where you might redirect it. We cannot forward a complaint to another organisation on your behalf.

What happens if you still have concerns?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint, you can ask for it to be reviewed by the Chief Executive of the Parliament. Information on how to do this will be included in the response outlining the outcome of our internal investigation.

If you still have concerns after the Chief Executive has responded to your complaint, you may raise your complaint with the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman. This independent office was established to consider complaints about poor service by public bodies, their failure to provide a service and any administrative failures on their part. The Ombudsman would normally expect you to have raised your complaint with us in the first instance and for it to have progressed through each possible stage before you take a complaint to them. It is expected that a complaint to the Ombudsman will be lodged within a year of the incident or event that gave rise to it.

Useful links